Saturday, October 15, 2016

When Only One Spot Will Do

When Only One Spot Will Do

Today I was sitting in Wendy's with my husband and my son DC. We were in chairs by the big screen in the back, rather than at a table. Every six months or so, DC decides on a different restaurant for our Saturday afternoon luncheon outings. Even though they are more expensive, conventional restaurants are easier, because DC will sit at whatever table the host or hostess picks. With more affordable fast food, whatever table we sit at the first time, becomes the only table he'll sit at during subsequent visits. He's also always refused to let us even order, until we were at his desired venue. If someone else is sitting there, we have to wait until it's clear.

When he was younger the wait could be painful --- literally. As he grew increasingly frustrated, DC would pinch or bite, usually me, but occasionally my husband. He would also protest constantly and we worked hard getting him to keep to an inside voice. Now, at thirty-five, we still have to urge him to keep his voice down and not to point or loom, but he no longer tries to hurt my husband or me.

Usually a wait for DC's table would only be a few minutes, until someone finished a meal. Unfortunately today, the occupants weren't eating. They had drinks, but were engaged in conversation, with no sign of when they would leave. As DC grew more and more upset, I began to think they would be there forever, but after an extremely long forty minutes, they finally took their leave.


Once we'd received our order, both DC and I were both calmer. And after lunch, full tummies made life downright rosy again. But even though it will cost us, I'm hoping that DC will decide on a new restaurant soon, one where someone else picks the table.

Check out my autism related books https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B01BJBY72U

No comments:

Post a Comment